Emerging Scholars

Emerging Scholars is an advising program established to provide academic support for students that find themselves on Academic Probation and/or Enforced Withdrawal. 

Students in the Emerging Scholars program work with an advisor to develop strategies to return back to Good Standing. The Title V Academic Advisors and Coaches provide one-on-one support for each student in the program.

Some of the requirements for the Emerging Scholars are:

Attend tutoring and/or SI sessions, attend Student Success Workshops, meet with an Emerging Scholar Academic Advisor during the semester and enroll in EDUC 1300 (if the student has not taken it before).

By integrating resources that are already here at VC with targeted advising practices, students learn how to seek out help when issues first arise. Students also begin to build the confidence they need to be successful by developing trusting and accountable relationships with advisors and faculty.

There are various activities at VC that students can take advantage of in their pursuit of academic success. Along with resources such as the Tutoring Center and Supplemental Instruction, students are also encouraged to participate in Student Success Workshops.

The Spring 2014 Student Success Workshop schedule is now available! View the Student Success Workshop flyer.

Contact Information

Eliza Welder
Title V Academic Coach
Phone: (361) 573-3291 Ext. 3428
Fax: (361)582-2525

The Title V Grant Program is 100% federally funded by the Department of Education ($2,720,931).


How did I get on Enforced Withdrawal?

Your semester/term GPA was below a 2.0 for two consecutive semseters.

Where can I find my semester/term GPA?

You can find your GPA by logging on to your Pirate Portal. Select the "Transcript Request" folder on the left and click on "Unofficial Transcript". You can scroll down and view each semester/term GPA as well as your overall GPA.

What does it mean to me if I'm on Enforced Withdrawal?

When a student is on Enforced Withdrawal they have been asked by the college to sit out one long semester (Fall, Spring, or full Summer semester). You can return to classes on Academic Probation after you sit out one long semester. If you wish to remain in classes during the semester you are on Enforced Withdrawal you can fill out the Letter of Appeal for Enforced Withdrawal. This form can be picked up and dropped off in the Advising & Counseling office.

How does the appeal process work?

Any student wishing to remain in class during the semester they are on Enforced Withdrawal can appeal by filling out the Letter of Appeal for Enforced Withdrawal. The Appeal Committee will review the form and decide if the student should remain in classes. Students who have been denied will receive a letter in the mail. Students who have been allowed back in class will be called in for an interview with the Emerging Scholars Academic Advisor. Most students who are allowed back into class must meet the Emerging Scholars requirements during the semester.

Will I be dropped from my classes if I'm on Enforced Withdrawal?

Yes, any students who are on Enforced Withdrawal and have not appealed will be dropped from their classes during the semester they are on Enforced Withdrawal.         


Pirate Portal


Want More Info?
© 2015 Victoria College | 2200 E. Red River | Victoria, TX 77901 | (361) 573-3291 | (877) 843-4369